IKI goals are to advance our knowledge about the nature, to foster scientific progress, to promote human and social development, to preserve the environment, to respond to technological, engineering, economic, and social challenges, and to strengthen the links between science and education.
The Space Research Institute (IKI) was founded as a principal organization of the USSR Academy of Sciences for space research and exploration for fundamental science on the basis of the Government Resolution from May 15, 1965 No. 392-147.
In 1986, the Space Research Institute was awarded with the Order of Lenin for significant contribution to national space science and technology development.
In 1992, the Space Research Institute became а part of the institutions system of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Today, the institution is a non-profit organization created in the form of a federal state budgetary institution. The founder and the owner of IKI is the Russian Federation.
Since 2019, the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation performs the functions and authorities of the founder on behalf of the Russian Federation (from 2013 to 2018 the same role belonged to Federal Agency of Scientific Organizations of the Russian Federation).
IKI includes the Special Design Bureau for Space Instrument Engineering, which is located in the town of Tarusa, Kaluga Region.
Russian Academy of Sciences runs scientific management of IKI.
IKI is conducting research, educational, technological, and expert activities, experimental developments, promotes scientific knowledge.
The work is carried out within the framework of the State Assignment, grants, State and Federal Programs, contracts.
The Institute’s key functions are to prepare and implement the programs of research, to design and test the scientific instruments for space projects, undertaken by the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Roscosmos State Space Corporation.
The main research and development areas of IKI
- astronomy, astrophysics, and the outer space studies, including studies of the origin, structure, and evolution of the Universe, galaxies and stars, the Sun and solar-terrestrial relations, exoplanets, the Solar System planets, the Earth and the Moon;
- R&D for space exploration, including Moon exploration;
- development of space and ground-based instruments for space research and other tasks, including optoelectronic equipment for navigation, environmental monitoring, as well as systems of ground-based support for space missions;
- plasma physics, including both astrophysical space plasma and low-temperature plasma;
- research of the Earth's surface, hydrosphere and atmosphere, geoinformatics, including the development of appropriate methods, technologies, technical and analytical tools;
- studies of the climate and the environment evolution under the influence of natural and anthropogenic factors, development of scientific environmental management framework;
- mechanics, dynamics of space bodies, vehicles and controlled objects, mechanics of liquid, gas and plasma, non-ideal and multiphase mediums.
Documents (in Russian)
The documents of IKI in in the database of the official website for the state (municipal) institutions
Reports (in Russian)
Official bank details and contact information
Full name in Russian: Федеральное государственное бюджетное учреждение науки Институт космических исследований Российской академии наук
Acronym in Russian: ИКИ РАН
Full name in English: Space Research Institute
Acronym in English: IKI
For bank details, please, send an enquiry to email@example.com